Demoing GMEB for Teenagers

Recently I demoed GMEB for a group of five high-schoolers. It was the first time, to my knowledge, that the game has been played by the maximum number of players, which is kind of exciting. It also went over pretty well, and gave me a chance to practice running demos of the game that I’m not actually playing. ¬†They all enjoyed it, and a couple of them expressed interest in buying the game when it’s available.

It was fun, and a good use of my new playtest set. Most importantly, the game went pretty smoothly, implying that the new set is pretty well balanced. Obviously needs more playtesting, but it wasn’t any kind of disaster, much less a total one.

Advertisements

Grand-Con and UnPub

So this Saturday (the 21st) I’ll be in Grand Rapids, MI attending Grand-Con. As you may have read in this post, I had intended to go to the UnPub event there, but there won’t actually be an UnPub event this year.

UnPub is in the process of changing hands, and there was some miscommunication during the process. There won’t actually be an UnPub event, although there should be one next year. This means that I won’t have the table space I was expecting, as there won’t officially be anywhere for me to playtest GMEB.

Since I already bought a pass, I’ll be there all day on Saturday, there are panels (at 9am and 5pm) that I’d like to attend, and I’ll have my playtest copy of GMEB along with me, and I’ll be trying to get the word out about the game. It’s still early in the playtest, and I won’t be doing a Kickstarter till sometime next year, but I had hoped to use the con as a way to get more people involved in the playtest. I can still do that, it just won’t be as easy, since there won’t be people coming to me, I’ll have to seek them out.

That being said, if anybody reading this will be at Grand-Con on Saturday, send me an email, tweet at me, or comment on the Facebook, and let me know if you’d like to play a game.

On the plus side, this gives me more time to check out vendors and exhibitors.

GMEB playtest version 3.0 is ready!

I’m filing this under the GMEB category for obvious reasons, but under blog as well because I need to write this post, and I’m pretty swamped right now with academic stuff, so I don’t have time to write two posts.

Anyway, the third draft of Giant Monsters, Exciting Battle! is ready for playtesting! It took me forever, not because this draft was particularly difficult (it only took a few hours of actual work) but because of the aforementioned being swamped with academic stuff.

I’ve totally overhauled the card costs, and rewritten the text on most cards, cutting a few rules that weren’t really helping anything, and clarifying others. The kaiju should be more balanced now, and the city deck should move a little faster.

Everyone who has signed up for the playtest so far will have the new packet by the time this post goes up, and as usual if you’re interested in receiving a playtest packet, you can join the mailing list over on the GMEB page.

If any of you are planning on attending Grand-Con in Grand Rapids, MI the weekend of September 20th, I’ll be at the UnPub event there on Friday and Saturday, demoing the game and getting feedback. I don’t have much in the way of details about the event yet, but I’ll post them when I do. I did make a nice new version of the playtest deck for my own use, with each kaiju deck, and the city deck, having its own color of sleeve, so there’s no chance for confusing cards!

I’m pretty excited about this new draft, especially because I haven’t played my own game in while now because I didn’t really want to show off that previous draft after I decided to make a new one.

New playtest edition in the works

I haven’t posted anything in a while because, frankly, there hasn’t been anything to report. Since my last post, about the box I made for my playtest set, I’ve only heard from one of my playtesters. I’m a little bummed out that I haven’t heard from more of them, but oh well, people are busy.

As for myself, I’ve only gotten two games in since then, but I did end up with a lot of notes from them. I’m currently working on a pretty significant overhaul to the playtest set. No rules changes, although I will be streamlining the game a little, removing some unnecessary keywords and reducing the amount of bookkeeping involved in the average game. Additionally, I’m working on a major overhaul of the cards themselves, which result in many of them seeing new in-game costs, as well as a number having their effects changed or clarified. With that much work involved, it may take a while, in fact I’ve already missed my first intended release date on the packet (August 10th) because real life got in the way.

My plan now is to have the new edition done before the end of August, which seems pretty reasonable.